Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Health At Every Size

Did you know that last week was the Binge Eating Disorder Association's First Annual Weight Stigma Awareness Week?  Either did I, which is why I'm posting about it now.  This gives us plenty of time to prep for next year!

In light of this, I'd like to share Dr. Deb Burgard's recent piece on Health Speech.  Burgard is a key player in the Health At Every Size and Association for Size Diversity and Health movements.  

It never ceases to amaze me how medical doctors will often tell heavy people to lose weight, even when the patient shows no objective signs of disease.  At the same time, the significantly underweight, eating-disordered patient will often fly under the radar, reporting that she's never discussed her eating disorders with her primary care provider who has, in turn, never asked about her about her low weight.  

I hope that by promoting these movements we can move toward a place of greater size acceptance and can refocus agendas and efforts on health, rather than weight.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
My husband has recently become concerned about my eating habits and is worried I have an ED. I'm fairly certain I don't. Unless summer is on the horizon, as long as my clothes fit, I don't really care about my weight. I don't eat much, but it's not like I'm obsessively counting calories or banning food groups or whatever. I do some light exercise, I run 3 miles 3 days a week, nothing crazy. A typical food log would be a pot of coffee and 2 blueberry scones for breakfast, some yogurt before my class, and some pasta and vegetables for dinner, and maybe a small handful of m&m's for a snack. I know I should eat more, but I'm busy and I don't get hungry. I'm 5'4" and 125lbs, perfectly normal BMI. My jeans are size 6, that's fairly normal as well. Maybe if I can get a DR who's writing a book about this stuff to say yeah I'm probably not being as healthy as I should but I don't have a disorder requiring medical intervention, my husband will lay off!